I really liked agree with what Michael Stephens says about Library 2.0. His thoughts seem to be "middle of the road". He views Library 2.0 as a "'strategy guide' to find information". He says you should base what you get for the library on the users. User-centered libraries allow users to access what they need in many different ways: at a physical library or online.I can see how much the library and technology has changed since I got my undergrad in 1999- I could only access library information at the library. It has also changed a lot since I left the classroom in 2006- the amount of information a patron can access via the internet is amazing. I can do a majority of my research from home. I cannot wait to see the strides we will make in the future.
I think as librarians we tend to forget sometimes that we need to tailor the library to our patrons needs instead of promotimg our personal views and agendas. I like what he said about training patrons. That if they do not take the time to be trained find another way of doing things so it is easier on the patron and easier on their searches.
ReplyDelete